The Reading Conference Kit includes:
- What is a Reading Conference?
- What are the Benefits of Reading Conferences?
- What are the other children doing?
- How do we create a “Book Club Culture”?
- What purposes do conferences serve?
- What is the ‘flow’ of a conference?
- How do I organise to conference with everyone?
- Where to learn more.
Conferring Comprehension with Readers – Menu of Possibilities
- Early Years of School
- Middle-Upper Primary
3 Sets of Bookmarks (each with 6 bookmarks)
- To support children to transfer and practise strategies as they read independently.
- General Comprehension Strategies
- Make connections
- Ask Questions
- Thinking about Narratives
- Who is the main/supporting character?
- Thinking about the plot
- Thinking about character traits that are helpful (EY)
- Thinking about character traits that are helpful (M-UP)
- Thinking about character traits that are unhelpful (EY)
- Thinking about character traits that are unhelpful (M-UP)
- BONUS: Common themes in narratives
- BONUS: Thinking about characters’ feelings chart
- Reading like a Researcher
- Ask questions before reading
- Read diagrams
- Focus your research
- Researchers visualise
- Researchers predict vocabulary
- Think about the numbers you read
Download a PDF file, copy, cut, fold and glue to create simple and inexpensive bookmarks.
Conference Records Templates
- To download and try
- Copy double-sided for each child. Bind into a booklet or set up in a tabbed folder/binder for efficient record-keeping of your conferences. Makes report-writing time much easier!